Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Groovy Wardrobe *UPDATED TO INCLUDE PATTERNS*


On one of my shopping adventures last summer I was hit by a stroke of creativity...I came across a couple of Groovy Girl dolls and realized that this might be my solution to Sophia's constant wardrobe changes. I thought if she could change a doll's clothing she might stay in the same outfit for an entire day! Wishful thinking perhaps, but when I looked at the clothes that come with the dolls I realized the potential for me to make her an entire wardrobe for her doll. Time sometimes gets the best of me and I didn't end up making clothes for Sophia's doll for her birthday, however last week was my niece's birthday and Sophia's doll clothes fit her doll perfectly so a birthday gift idea was created. I spent a while searching through my fabric for the perfect doll clothes fabric and I am so thrilled by the outcome.


3 dresses, 3 skirts, 2 shirts, a purse and a boa (every doll needs to accessorize). As you can see I bought a couple of dolls to give Sophia enough clothes for her doll, but that same clothing gave me the pattern pieces to create the outfits that they are wearing in this picture. A great looking bunch of girls if you ask me.

The Groovy Girl clothes are very basic in terms of sewing technique, since the clothes do not have to go in the washing machine a simple overcast seam around the pattern piece is all that is required to prevent fraying, I simply folded up this overcast stitching and did my seam for the outfit. Ribbon and velcro are necessities for these clothes, and I could see sewing on some buttons or other notions to really individualize each piece. Perhaps even a little embroidery would be needed on special pieces.

If anyone needs a new "little" outfit I would be happy to duplicate these Groovy Girl clothes patterns, these outfits were a lot of fun to create. Wow, I can't believe the response to this posting. I guess I am not the only one that wanted to make clothes for groovy girls. I have created a couple of patterns and posted them below (the patterns did not scan perfectly but you can still see the outline) so people can download them, instead of me keeping up with emails For each design there is a solid line, finished size and a 1/4" dotted line around, for cutting. You will need basic sewing knowledge to make these and you might have to play around with piecing pieces together, to ensure perfect fit. However, none of them are that difficult and with enough different pieces of scrap fabric your groovy girl could have completely different looks using only one pattern. Play around with embellishments as well, nothing adds to an outfit like some sparkle or ribbon. (The following patterns need to be printed on 8 1/2" x 11" paper.) Page 1 - Skirt and Top
Page 2 & 3 - One Strap Dress and Scarf This pattern requires you to cut out three pieces for the top, sew together as I indicated on the pattern and then attach to the skirt (shown on the second page). I also placed a pattern for a scarf on the page with the skirt. To make it I stated you should cut out 2 pieces of fabric, sew together with right sides together,on the long sides and one short end, turn right side out and stich the last end closed. If you are not using two different fabrics for the top and bottom of the scarf, just double the width of the scarf, fold it in half and you only have 3 sides to sew together.
Page 4 - Long Dress and Purse I have placed a simple square shape on this pattern to use for a purse. I tend to make things more difficut than they need to be so I always line the little purses I make. If you want your groovy girl to have a matching purse with all her outfits just simply cut two squares out, sew right sides together and hand stitch a ribbon at the sides for a strap. I think once you make one you will see how easy they are to make and you can play with different shapes or have two straps instead of one.
As I said, these patterns are just my own creations for home use. You may have to slightly adjust them to work. Please print them all on 8 1/2" x 11" paper. I hope you enjoy making these as much as I did, and your little girls love dressing up their dolls. Happy sewing!

74 comments:

  1. Yes, I am interested in patterns for Groovy Girl clothes. My granddaughters love their Groovy Girls, and I would like to make clothes for them. Please send me more information. Thank you.

    judithm@umich.edu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there. I would be grateful for any tips/patterns you are willing to share for the groovy girl clothes. My daughter LOVES her dolls. sasphnx@yahoo.ca

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love it if you were willing to share a pattern or tutorial for any of these outfits. My daughter loves her Groovy Girls & I've been looking for some patterns/ideas of ways to make them outfits. Yours are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a french grandmother .I am also looking for some patterns and ideas of ways to make outfits for my granddaughter'doll.I will be happy if you agree to share yours-thank you in advance
    sucrette34@hotmail.fr

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to have copies of your patterns!

    daddygodknittedme@yahoo.com

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will start working on a tutorial, but before that I will try to sketch out the patterns and post them here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would very much appreciate your groovy patterns also. Your Groovy Girl clothes turned out really cute!

    Thanks!
    Jennifer Dennis- jdennis23@cox.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so cute! I have to make some outfits for my daughter's new Groovy Girl doll!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute. Anxiously awaiting the patterns. Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Would like the patterns too for my Girl Scouts.
    Thank you

    Kathy -livewireis@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd love to have the patterns for my girls' dolls too. They're so cute!

    Thanks for sharing them.
    lambinohio@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing the patterns. I'd love to have them for a surprise Christmas present for my 5-year-old and her troop of groovy girls.

    netchick@earthlink.net

    ReplyDelete
  13. Please! I desperately need some doll clothes for my daughter's doll for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Would love the patterns!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Are you still planning on posting the patterns here? I'd love to have a copy...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would love some patterns!

    tamnarie at yahoo.ca

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi there!
    I am late to the game but I am currently trying to knit and sew some groovy doll clothes for my daughter for Christmas. I got her a dollhouse that is sized for groovy girls. I found nice like new dolls for $0.50 each at the goodwill but they are naked! Need to clothe them by Christmas.

    Thanks!
    chaigwenlatte@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi I've been asked to sew some clothes for my neighbour's daughter's groovy girl dolls, and as the mum of boys' would findvthevpatterns helpful, but I can't seem to find them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would love to have your tutorial too. I have several dolls and I would like to make clothes for my girls. Thanks!

    carrim@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Are you still offering this? I am very interested. Thanks!

    kelder@sftl.ca

    ReplyDelete
  21. My daughter just got a ton of these for her birthday last night! I'd love the patterns, too!

    Rebthack@ gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. please please PLEASE send these to me! my granddaughter would be thrilled.

    brendamilligan@yahoo.ca

    thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'd LOVE the patterns! These are adorable!

    Jbeck2000@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. my daughter just discovered sewing and groovy girls. I would love the patterns thank you. turcottesa@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. My granddaughter loves her Groovy Girl doll and I'd like to sew some new clothes as a surprise. If you could send me your patterns I would be very greatful. Thanks!

    devillers_family@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi, I have just introduced our 3 yr. old granddaughter to Groovy Girls and all she wants to do is change the clothes. I bought all of them used so several don't have outfits. I would love patterns or tips, ideas etc. Thanks so much for sharing.

    scrappin_nanna@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi - I would love to have some of your patterns. Thank you for sharing with me.
    lisbetfj@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. I would love the patterns! Can you please send them!

    ktyh913@gmail.com

    Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I would love to get the patterns also :kerstinhowie@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. I would greatly appreciate the patterns for my daycare, the children would be thrilled

    Thanks a lot!

    Charlotte cdeviller@rogers.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I got a free naked groovy girl in a box of hand me down clothes. would love a copy of your patterns! autumnsweet@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. That's autumnsweet54@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. HI! I just came across this post, and I would love any patterns you have from Groovy Girls as well! Thank you!

    catonss@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hello! If the patterns are still available, I would love you to send them to me. thanks so much!

    katmweb@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi! Are you still sharing these? I'd love a copy.... tmaynardathome@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. I just bought Groovy Girl dolls for my nieces and would love to make them more dresses. Can you please let me know how I can get your patterns?
    kmreynolds3@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. yeah, yeah! groovy girl patterns. Just bought some dolls off Ebay for my kids and some don't have clothes. I would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi, Melissa. I too am looking for these patterns for my daughter for Christmas. Soooo cute!! Great job! My email: flyingwoman01 at gmail.com. Thanks and happy holidays! Raquel

    ReplyDelete
  39. I would also love some patterns, as I bought a few dolls for my daughter for Christmas and would love to have a wardrobe to go with them.

    Lrose at gmx.com

    ReplyDelete
  40. I would like to have copies of your 13" Groovy Doll Clothes patterns. Grandbaby loves her fashion clothes for Groovy Girls.
    yorkies2luv@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. I have been searching for some patterns for Groovy Girl clothes and found yours. I would love to have a copy of them so that I can make them for the dolls I have found a little less dressed than they need to be. My girlfriends granddaughters will be thrilled to have them.
    celegod2@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  42. i would looooove the patterns! I just got a few naked Groovy Girls at Goodwill that need clothing desperately! merissa.benson@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. These are wonderful little outfits - what a great job you did!

    I too would love these patterns. We picked up 11 naked groovy girls the other day. i've been trying to make my own pattern without much luck. Any help will be appreciated!

    dani.lajoie@yahoo.ca

    Thanks!
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  44. My daughter was just 'handed-down' several Groovy Girl dolls from an older cousin. They too are lacking clothing. Please send patterns to lilktn@msn.com. Thank you for your generosity.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I have purchased a lot of naked Groovy Girls at the local thrift store and am planning on making clothes for them and putting them in shoe boxes for Operation Christmas Child. I would be thrilled if I could get your patterns. tomandpam1@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. moore6577@live.com
      No one taught me how to sew, so...I am the one who buys your creations! If anyone is interested, I have money to spend!

      Delete
    2. Hey, what a great idea about sending the girls with clothes in Operation Christmas child box. I will have to keep that in mind for this year!!!
      If patterns are still available please send them to luchinka@hotmail.com THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
      Lucka

      Delete
  46. Hi, I would like to make some clothes for my daughter's dolls for her birthday present. I would be very happy if you could send me the patterns.
    sharonrachel@hotmail.com
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  47. I would love to be able to use all those old clothes of my daughters that she loved but are now stained or just too small. the patterns would be great. you know reduce, reuse, recycle. I will just now just have to find the time, maybe she can even help.
    bams31@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  48. I would love to have these patterns; my daughter loves her groovy girls who by now are getting a touch disheveled. I would appreciate if you could share your patterns! My e-mail is angua2@hotmail.com. Thanks, Inna.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I would love your patterns so I could make doll clothes for my 5 granddaughters. franmross@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  50. I would very much appreciate it if you could send the doll clothes patterns for Groovy Girl. I just bought the doll and want to make a little wardrobe of clothes to go with it before I give it to my great niece. Thank you very much.
    sally_williams@telus.net

    ReplyDelete
  51. I also would like the patterns. securreri@yahoo.com
    You sure wiould be helping a lot of people by the looks of this list. Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  52. I would like the patterns if you have them. I have 8 of these dolls but no clothes. Thank you. motherof3g1b3gr@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  53. I am also very interested in your patterns. Jashby@iprovo.net

    ReplyDelete
  54. I am also so very interested in your patterns for the Groovy Girl Dolls. Thank you in Advance.
    motherof3g1b3gr@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  55. Hi!!!
    I would LOVE your groovy girl doll clothing patterns!!! My niece is in search of cool clothes for her dolls and asked me to sew her some.
    Thank you soooooooooo much!

    sarah.karnes@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  56. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  57. I need patterns for my daughter's groovy girls. She has Autism and they are her absolute fav dolls and we have lost most of the clothes. Please, send me patterns to jreneemck@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  58. If you still have those patterns to send, I'd love them, too! (And for a similar reason as the poster above!) :) wendyb.whipple@gmail.com

    Thank you, and Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  59. If you're still sharing your patterns I would love them too. Many thanks!!
    jenniferfiller@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  60. Hello! Are your patterns still available? My 6 year old granddaughter just got her first Groovy Girl and would love to have a change of clothes for her! Thanks so much! linnsill@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  61. Y would love to have copies of your patterns, ringala97@hotmail.com. Thank you so much for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  62. My granddaughters LOVE their groovy girl dolls. I would love to get copies of your patterns and a link to a tutorial if you have one. Thank you so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  63. Thank you so much for sharing your patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  64. Hi there! My daughter is just starting to get into Groovy Girls and I'd love to make extra clothes for her. My email is figi_queen@yahoo.com Thank you so much for sharing these awesome patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  65. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  66. where to find these free costume directions

    ReplyDelete
  67. Hello...these are FANTASTIC. If you are still sharing the patterns, I would really appreciate a copy. I tried once to make my own pattern but ended up knitting a skirt for Reese. Thank you for sharing. This will make a fun fall activity. Salli ralliralli@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  68. Hi,

    Can you share your groovy girl patterns...it won't download in the proper size. Thank you in advance Jacque JacqueAlaska@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  69. Morning! What a fun blog to find here today! I love to sew for dolls. My 16yo GD also sews and free- style crochets (makes it up as she goes- how does she do that?!) for dolls including her extensive collection of Groovy Girls. I would love to see some of your patterns. Thanks so much. Mariann/ mumbeeboos59@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  70. Hi! Love your patterns! If you are still sharing them I would love a copy :)
    ami.hill@me.com

    ReplyDelete
  71. Hi! Are you still sharing your patterns I would love a copy.
    sz@unak.is

    ReplyDelete
  72. Hello! Hoping you are still offering this. Found 6 naked groovy girls at goodwill for my granddaughters. Would love a copy.

    ReplyDelete