Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Cut It Out Robots - Day 2

I'm not sure why quilters get such satisfaction out of cutting up full yards/metres of fabric, only to put it back together again in a completely different pattern, but I am ecstatic with the progress I've made in 24 hours. After pre-washing, drying and ironing all that fabric last night it is interesting to see how little space it takes up now that it has been cut down to size. You may notice that some of the pieces of the quilt are still in strips, so technically it isn't completely cut out but since 2 of the 3 blocks in this quilt can be strip pieced I will be waiting until after I piece it together before cutting out the blocks. I won't give away the rest of the technique, so there is something to look forward to on "piecing" day. I made my first rag quilt for Sophia when she was around 8 months old and I cut the entire quilt out with scissors, I couldn't cut all that flannel in 2 days let alone 2 hours. I really have to thank Joyce for suggesting that I buy my OLFA rotary cutter and mat only 4 short years ago. The time I have saved was worth the price!

No comments:

Post a Comment